Sunday, July 13, 2014

Birthday dinner with the family - First up: Strawberry and Pineapple Cocktail

Strawberry and Pineapple Cocktail
 I decided to help celebrate my sisters birthday by inviting over her son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter, for an interesting 1950's recipe laden birthday dinner. 

First up was the Strawberry and Pineapple Cocktail.  I thought it odd to be called a cocktail without alcohol in it, but heck...I wasn't alive and drinking in 1948!

Overall, I'm not sure how well the cocktail went over. The kids are doing a sugar-fast, so I didn't add any sugar to sweeten the drink...and as a drink - it's dangerous! Chunks of fruit hiding out of sight might make you wonder how well you know the heimlich maneuver!

I personally didn't mind the taste of it. It was a bit tart, but not overly so, but I probably wouldn't make it again. I don't see a need to cut up fruit and mix juices together, it was a lot of extra work for a so so drink. I'd rather just have a straight up glass of orange juice.  Guess I'm lazy that way :)

I followed the instructions as shown below, using small chunks of strawberry and pineapple in the bottom of the glass and then using a strawberry and pineapple ring for garnish.  I wish there were pictures of this drink in the book, because I don't think I garnished correctly....the pineapple ring and strawberry sunk...so, I'm glad I added the toothpick to the strawberry, plus it made it easier to eat the other fruit out of the bottom of the glass.


Strawberry and Pineapple Cocktail
The American Woman's Cook Book - 1948 (pg 163)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • sugar
  • 1 cup strawberries

DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine the orange and lemon juice sweetened to taste, keeping the mixture rather tart.
  2. Chill.
  3. Wash and drain the strawberries and hull them.
  4. At serving time cute the berries in half (except six large ones), mix well with pineapple, place in glasses and cover with the fruit juice.
  5. One large, perfect berry set on a tiny circle of pineapple may decorate the top of each cocktail.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny ...Sounds just like a very liquidy fruit cocktail that comes in cans we used to have as kids :)

    ReplyDelete