Thursday, August 21, 2014

The best and yummiest Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I can't say I love Carrot Cake. In most cases I avoid it and choose something else. It's always hit and miss and I don't want to take the chance of biting in to gummy undercooked cake, slimy carrots, or shredded carrot bits that are just too long and stringy - the kind that you pull from the cake like hair stuck in a shower drain. Blek! I would rather gnaw my arm off, seriously! I have issues with finding any hair in my food! I became a vegetarian for a couple years because of hair and a Wendy's hamburger!...But that's a different story and not about this carrot cake.

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

The carrot cake my sister (sis #2) makes is amazing. I'm not sure why, but it's very vanilla-ie, hahaha...it has a great vanilla flavour is what I'm trying to say :) or maybe it's just that the smell makes it seem like it has been infused with vanilla.  The cake has an amazing 'rightness' to it. The right taste, the right texture, the right smell, the right sweetness, and the right size of shredded carrots.  And whomever decided that cream cheese icing goes with Carrot Cake was a darn genius!

This time around, I figured I would make it myself, using the recipe my sister uses from the Five Roses Flour Cook Book and I wasn't disappointed, nope, not at all. The only thing better than this cake - is if she had made it for me :)

I started off by chopping the nuts (I used walnuts) and shredding the carrots. I just used a carrot peeler and did small strokes at the end of the carrot until the carrot was completely shredded and in the bowl. It took about 4 - 5 medium sized carrots to make 3 cups.

Shredded Carrots and Nuts

Once I had the carrots and nuts done, I dumped all the wet ingredients plus the sugar into the mixing bowl and turned it on. The recipe says to let it go for 5 minutes, so while that was spinning around, I got the dry ingredients ready and greased the 9 X 13 baking pan.

Carrot cake dry ingredients

Next up was to toss the carrots and nuts in with the wet ingredients and give it a whirl.  

Adding carrots and nuts to Carrot cake batter

Add the flour. I just dumped all of it in at once and gave it a quick mix.

This seriously looks like barf and reminds me of the Rinktum Ditty I made. Pinky orange is NOT a good look for food. Hahah, are you sold on making this yet? Hair and Barf - what the heck will I say about food I hate??


So, take your yummy looking pinky orange mixture and dump it into a greased 9X13 pan. It really needs to be this big of a pan, or two 8X8's or something (24 muffins perhaps). It ends up making a lot of cake. I got 24 large 'forget about the diet' sized pieces out of this.


 Bake at 350 F for 55 - 60 minutes and then let cool on a rack.

While baking, throw your cream cheese ingredients into the blender and cream together.  I made a double batch because....
  1. a regular package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese is 8 oz, not 4, and what am I going to do with 1/2 a brick of cream cheese? I guess I could freeze it...nah...
  2. I think the cake is better with the double recipe. It's a nice yummy amount  - not too much...and definitely not too little :)
 Once the cake has nicely cooled, slather it with the cream cheese icing. YUM!

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Cut into the non diet friendly servings and enjoy!


Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Five Roses Flour Cook Book - 1970? (pg 94)

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1⁄2 cups Five Roses flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups finely grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
  3. In the large electric mixer bowl combine oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla; beat until light, about 5 minutes.
  4. Blend in carrots and nuts.
  5. Blend in dry ingredients, 1/3 at a time.
  6. Pour batter into greased and floured pan
  7. Bake in a moderate oven until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertips.
  8. Let cake stand in pan 10 minutes before removing. 
  9. Cool completely on rack.
  10. Frost with cream cheese frosting
Rectangular cake pan: 22 cm X 33 cm (9" X 13")
Temperature: 180 C (350 F)
Cooking Time: 55 to 60 minutes
Yield: 1 large cake

CREAM CHEESE ICING (single recipe as shown in book)
Five Roses Flour Cook Book - 1970? (pg 102 )

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
  • 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
  • 1 – 4 oz pkg cream cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS
  1. Cream butter and cream cheese together
  2. Add in vanilla
  3. Beat in icing sugar
Yield: 500 mL (2 cups)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment