Friday, June 27, 2014

Iced Pumpkin Cookies For My Mom

This is one of my mom's favourite cookies. It's not written in her scribblers because she's only known about them for a short while and she can't cook for herself now, so I make them when I visit.

Before I came for my 'visit' (wasn't she shocked to find out I'm staying indefinitely!) she mentioned she had bought more canned pumpkin for the cookies. So, I'm making her cookies today!

She recently had a stroke (I believe we found out around Ignace, Ontario - during our drive across Canada) and is in the hospital, so I made them this morning and brought some in for her. She had one with her lunch, I think it made her happy.

The recipe is from Allrecipes and has great reviews.  There isn't much I change when making it, except putting the dough in the fridge to stiffen up and using a simplified version of the glaze.

Usually, I roll them in to balls, which gives the cookies a smooth surface, but this time I used a cookie scoop since I didn't want to let the dough rest in the fridge.  You know...things to do, places to be :)
I realized after taking the picture that I had grabbed cake flour!
Combine 2.5 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl.
In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Once done, beat in the pumpkin.
Add in the egg and vanilla
Beat until fluffy. At this point you can chill in the fridge if you want to hand roll into balls, or just move along if using a cookie scoop :)
Place on cookie sheet and bake 15-20 mins in a 350 F oven. 
You can see these are 'rough' and not hand rolled smooth.
Once baked, let cool and then drizzle with glaze. haha, sorry I got side tracked and stopped taking pictures until they were already drizzled!

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
Gina - Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

COOKIES
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
GLAZE
  • 1 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • cinnamon (optional, but yummy addition!)

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F . 
  2. Combine dry ingredients
  3. Cream together the butter and sugar. 
  4. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. 
  5. Mix in dry ingredients. 
  6. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls
  7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
  8. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
  9. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, water, and vanilla and then drizzle over cookies with a spoon or fork.
Makes about 3 dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment